Psalm 139:14 is one of the most popular verses in the Book of Psalms. Now before we continue, take a careful look at the scripture below again.
“I will praise you; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvelous are your works; and that my soul knows right well” Psalm 139:14
Who wrote Psalm 139 and why was it written?
Psalm 139 was written by David who took time to observe the wondrous and incomprehensible creative power of God at work in human life. The opening verses Psalm 139 give an account of the all-knowing God who is able to perceive and know the thoughts and actions of men before they execute them. The verse 7 of Psalm 139 says “Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence?” The all-knowing God, the all-seeing God and Maker of the Heaven and Earth is a powerful God, full of wonders, unsearchable and incomprehensive wisdom and knowledge.
Quick facts about the human body
The creation of the human body which began right from the womb as a result of the coming together of a sperm and an egg is not only a mystery but a wondrous act beyond human understanding. Though science can assist us to understand the process of human creation, there is more to it that cannot be captured by scientific equipment. Creation of human beings more spiritual and not physical or scientific. Now take a quick look at some quick facts in the human body.
When single fertilized egg in the womb of a woman during conception is capable of forming cells, tissues, organs, and a complete biological system. How about your sense of hearing? The human ears can hear in the frequency of 1,000 to 50,000 hertz. Your nose can remember 50,000 different scents. Scientists concluded that the average human body contains approximately 37.2 trillion cells! If you took all the blood vessels out of an average adult and laid them out in one line, the line would stretch closer to 100,000 miles long. This means that your blood vessels can be wrapped around the earth for about four times! Every second, more than 100,000 chemical reactions occur in the brain. The brain can even generate about 20 watts of electricity when awake. The human brain cell can hold 5 times as much information as the Encyclopedia Britannica.
The Human brain is considered to be the most powerful computer which has the processing speed of 3000+ Ghz. On average, your heart beats about 115,000 times in one day or 42 million times in a year or 3 billion times in an average lifetime. Averagely, the hearts of a human beats about 70 times per minute and pumps about 2,000 gallons, and thus 7,500 liters of blood each day. An average body contains nearly 100 trillion cells. Your DNA can stretch from the earth to the sun for about 600 times! You actually see with your brain and not your eyes. It is your brain that interprets what your eye is seeing and corrects images simultaneously. According to one estimate, your brain-eye coordination performs about 10 billion calculations per second to help you see. All of these processes demand a great level of complexity for you to translate sounds, odour, and taste into something you understand. The brain contains 100 billion nerve cells. Human kidneys process daily about 130 quarts—about 123 liters—of blood to filter out waste and water. Our skeletal system has 206 bones connected to an intricate system of tendons, cartilage, and ligaments. The skeletal system not only enables us to move but also helps to produce blood, and it stores calcium.
Any more facts about the human body?
The beautiful and the wonderful thing is that, people cannot stop studying and discovering more things about the human body and system. Each day, more researches are being done to discover more things. What are they trying to find out? To search and find out about the wisdom of God hidden in the human body. People spend years studying in school and researching, writing lots of articles and books just to tell us some discovering about the human of God hidden behind His creation in order to understand how our body works to enhance medical practice.
Fearfully and wonderfully made – What does Psalm 139:14 Means?
The creation of human beings is not of his own ability or the works of the parents but a special design and ability of God to bring into existence mankind with all functional parts of his body. We you carefully examine the structure and texture of the human body, the exact symmetry and the right proportions used by God for all the human parts, their position and usefulness, the arteries, muscles, nerves, fibre, and many others are beautifully framed and placed at the right places. When you study the various parts of the human eyes, the ears, the teeth, tongue and the many parts of the human body as well as their functions, you will not only stand amazed but see the wonders of God displayed in creating the human body. The creation of the human body and breathing life into man does not only exhibit how wonderful God is but in addition, tells of how fearful the Creator is and you are fearfully and wonderfully created.
Other theologians also believed that David was describing and talking about Christ, the second Adam, who as a man is a creature of God’s wonderful works, and was fearfully and wonderfully made, even of a virgin, without the use and knowledge of man, is the stone cut out of the mountain without hands, the tabernacle which God pitched and not man; was produced by the power of the Holy Spirit, was born without sin, which no man is, and united personally to be the son of God and is still the great mystery of godliness.
Lessons to learn from Psalm 139
1. God knows and sees you right from the womb: The fearful God who made you wonderfully and so fearful knows you right from the womb. David said right from the womb, God sees him and knitted him together in the womb of the mother. This confirms the message God told Jeremiah that before he was formed in the womb, God knew him and has ordained him as a prophet onto the nations. This justifies the reason that it is not good to do abortion because God knows the fetus growing in there though you do not see the person in the clot of blood.
2. Stages of human life from conception to birth, growth and maturity until death cannot be simply and fully explored and explained. The original creation of man is a mystery and the conception of man from the womb until birth, growth and maturity also take another dimension altogether. You cannot fully explore and explain everything.
3. Creation of mankind exhibits the wisdom and power of God; hence man was fearfully and wonderfully made in the image of God, not in the form of apes or monkeys. You are the expressed image of God so you are unique, awesome and beautiful.
4. God can create anything from just anything He lays His hands on. He is able to create with or without raw materials. The Bible says in Genesis 1 that He spoke and everything came into existence.
5. Looking at the complexity of the human system shows that the creation of mankind is just a masterpiece, hence after God created mankind, He declared in Gen.1:31 that it was very good.
6. Creation of human beings is one of the greatest revelations of God because among all the things creation, it is only man that was created after His own kind.
7. Research has shown that no two persons are ever the same. The creation of man shows how fearful and wonderful God has made you in a unique way. You are a brand-new type of your own version. No one can ever be like you. Remember that your thumb print, your eyes and several other body parts of you can never be the same. That is why your thumb prints are used in place of signature which is uniquely different from all other people.
8. The wisdom of God is infinite. The wisdom of God is unsearchable. You cannot fully explore and understand it. Why didn’t God position your eyes behind your head? Why didn’t God position your stomach under your armpit? He is a great designer that designed and formed mankind; hence, you are fearfully and wonderfully made.
9. The creation of human beings indicates that you are the works of God but not through evolution
10. You are fearfully and wonderfully created by God Himself for a purpose. Like Jeremiah, God created Him for a particular purpose even before He was formed in the mother’s womb (Jeremiah 1:5).
11. Learn to reflect and meditate on nature and the works of God. Reflections and meditations reveal the wisdom, nature and mysteries of God to mankind.
12. Praise and worship must come from revelation. After David saw the wonderful works of God, how fearfully and wonderfully He has created mankind, He burst into singing, praising and worshipping God. For David said: “I will praise you for I am fearfully and wonderfully….” Psalm 139:14a. Without revelation and understanding of who God is, what He has done and who you are in Christ, your worship with from mere lip service.
13. You are for God because He created you so you are His and not for other thing. The Bible says that God created you for His own pleasure (Rev. 4:11). Henceforth, do not show dislike for yourself, your body and what people think and say about your life. You are created for the pleasure of God because you are fearfully and wonderfully made. You are really special and special are you in the sight of your Maker.
Will you still doubt the existence of the fearful and wonderful God?
Psalm 139:14 is one of the scriptures that tells us about the existence of God. You are created by God Almighty. You did not just come into existence. There is the great, the greater and the greatest of all the gods, He is the Elohim. He is the creator of the universe and everything thereof in it. It is folly therefore to believe that there is no God. The Bible says in Psalm 14:1 that the fool has said in his heart that there is no God.
“And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him”, Heb. 11:6. You cannot believe in the existence of God if you have no faith. For we walk by faith and not by sight (2 Cor. 5:7).